Printer users often report that their printer not connected to the computer. Most of the time, this problem occurs after updating their OS to the latest version. If you are also struggling with the same problem, then don’t worry, this issue can be resolved easily.
This problem may also appear in different forms of error notifications. One of the most common error messages is “Windows cannot connect to the printer 0x0000007e”.
Do you want to know why is your printer not connected? There are several reasons for this problem. It may happen that the USB cable you are using to connect the printer with the system is damaged and the system is unable to detect the device.
Furthermore, if there is a fault within the printer driver, then you might also come across this problem. You may also face this issue due to the Print Spooler service error. However, to solve this problem, you can have a look at the section below.
Effective Hacks to Solve If Printer not Connected
There are several ways to get rid of this error. Here, we are going to cover them. So, you can take a glance at the solutions described below:
Fix 1: Check the Connection
Before applying any complicated solutions, you need to check the printer to make sure that this problem is not occurring due to a faulty connection.
So, first, turn the device OFF. Wait for a few seconds and turn the power ON. Wait until the device becomes ready.
If you have connected the printer by using a USB cable, then make sure that it is not damaged. Then, check the USB port. If something is stuck inside the USB jack, then it may also trigger this problem. So, clean the USB jack by using a clean dry cloth.
If you connect the device through Bluetooth then check the user manual to build a proper connection. For the wireless connection, you also need to make sure that you are connected with a stable and secure internet connection.
After verifying the connections, you can check whether the problem is resolved or not. Else, you can have a look at the other solutions discussed below.
Fix 2: Remove the Unnecessary Printer Driver
Sometimes, a faulty driver can also prevent the Print Spooler Service to run. So, you can remove them in order to fix printer not connected. For that, you can perform the steps as follows:
- First, open the Run box by using the combination of R and Win key.
- Then, type “printermanagement.msc” in the search bar and tap on the OK button.
- Click twice on the ‘All Driver’ option from the next window.
- Now, go through the list of driver and select the unnecessary printer drivers.
- After selecting the printer drivers, right-click on them click on the Delete option.
Following that will remove all the unnecessary printer driver from your computer. After doing this, you can check if the problem is resolved.
Fix 3: Troubleshoot Printer Problems
Windows OS comes with the in-built printer troubleshooting tool. You can use it to fix this issue. Here are the steps you can perform to do this:
- First of all, open the Control Panel by going to the Start menu.
- Go to ‘View by’ and choose the ‘Small icons’ or ‘Large icons’ option.
- Next, navigate to the ‘Devices and Printer’ category.
- Locate the printer you are using by scrolling down the list of options and right-click on it.
- Lastly, choose the Troubleshooting option from the list.
Wait for a few seconds until the system completes the troubleshooting process. Afterwards, you can check if the printer is now connected to the computer. Else, you can restart the Print Spooler Service to solve this error.
Fix 4: Restart the Print Spooler Service
Print Spooler Service is responsible for managing the printing job and connecting with the computer. Sometimes, this service may stop suddenly. So, you can restart this service to troubleshoot this error.
Here’s how to do this:
- Open the Run box and type “services.msc”. Hit the Enter key to proceed.
- Locate the Print Spooler Service from the list of active services and select it.
- If you see that it is running, then right-click on it and click on the Stop option.
- Afterwards, right-click on the service once again and choose the Start option.
It will restart the Print Spooler service. Now, you can check if the issue is resolved.
These 4 solutions are the most appropriate ways to implement in case of printer not connected.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Fix Printer not Connected Mac?
If you are using a Mac device and stuck with the printer not connected, then you can solve it by resettings the printing system. For that, first, open the Apple menu. Then, navigate to System Preferences.
After that, go to the ‘Printers and Scanners’ category. Click anywhere in the list of devices by holding the Ctrl key from the keyboard.
Lastly, select the ‘Reset printing system’ option from the upcoming menu. Wait for a few seconds until the process completes. After doing this, you will be able to connect your printer to your Mac computer as expected.